WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Avani Samandur and Madison Ruiz

Over a hundred students from high schools across Oakland County gathered together Saturday, Feb. 25 at Troy Athens High School for the annual Troy Athens Model United Nations Conference. This conference was a great opportunity for delegates of all levels to refine their diplomacy and speaking skills!

Delegate Eriq Carey, senior, was the only West Bloomfield High School student to receive an award. He earned runner up for the Best Delegate Award in the Security Council committee.

Delegates were split into four different simulations of actual United Nation committees, based on their skill level. The beginning level committee was Economic and Social Council which focused on the Syrian Refugee Crisis. The intermediate level committees were Disarmament and International Security Committee, which focused on Nuclear Proliferation, and Social, Humanitarian & Cultural committee, which focused on the treatment of women and children in conflict zones. The advanced level committee was the security council, which deliberated and debated the Situation in Libya. Delegates also had the opportunity to send candy grams to each other at the the conference, in order to support Troy Athens’ Model United Nations club.

Senior Jenna Rainey loved the conference, saying that ““The Troy Athens Model United Nations conference was really fun because I got to practice my skills and meet people from other schools.”

For more information about the Model United Nations club and upcoming conferences, contact club sponsor Mr. Ridenour.

Avani Samandur, Writer/Reporter

Avani Samandur is a junior who enjoys writing and expressing her opinions on pressing issues of the world. She believes that everyone should be informed...

Madison Ruiz, Writer/Photographer

Madison Ruiz is a West Bloomfield High School student who is in 12th Grade. Madison is 16 years old and has been a part of Spectrum for four years....

1 Comment

One Response to “WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens”

1. Barb Kilkka on June 23rd, 2017 1:04 pm

Model UN is such an important activity in our world! KUDOS to all of you internationally-minded students!!! Perhaps you would be the kind of people interested in student exchange. Youth For Understanding USA (www.yfuusa.org) offers scholarships to study abroad in high school for a summer, a school year or a gap year and WBHS students have won them! Also, you could host an exchange student–you’ll see profiles at http://www.yfuusa.org/meetstudents and you can call me for details at 248-932-0811 as I live right behind the high school. Barb

All opinions are welcome, but please be respectful!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Check It Out

Spotlight on: Kyla Cristopher-Moody

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Check It Out

WB Swim Glides into Finals

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Check It Out

Breakfast on the Go

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

News

Midterm 2018 Wrap-up

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Check It Out

WBHS’S Marching Band and Color Guard Land 7th

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Check It Out

No School 2 Vote

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Check It Out

The Race for the School Board

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Arts

Chamber Choir goes to CMU!

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Check It Out

Trunk or Treat

• WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens

Check It Out

Softball Snacking

The Student News Site of West Bloomfield High School
WBHS MUN Takes On Troy Athens