Lacrosse the Finish Line

Ari Felhandler and Vaibhav Velagapudi

The Girl’s Lacrosse team has jumped out to an unprecedented start to their 2018 season, winning their first two games of the year and ranking as the top team in the state, per Laxpower.com. Such a start and ranking represents a new wave of lacrosse excellence for West Bloomfield, as the program has struggled historically to win games.

After only winning 2 games in the 2015-2016 season, the Lady Lakers rebounded to a program best 12-7 last season, making an appearance in the state playoffs as well. This incredible turnaround can be attributed to a newfound morale and mindset and a host of upperclassmen adopting leadership roles.

The team is led by senior Nicole Tranca, who has garnered interest from Division 1 collegiate programs around the country, and juniors Aria Gettel and Natalie Ferenc, who are the team’s leading scorers thus far. When speaking on her passion for the team, Tranca stated, “We are on our way to building a strong team and new image for the program. We are hungry and that is the motto that we follow every day.”

The first two games of the season were especially promising show outs, as the Lakers defeated Saline 18-6 and Troy Athens 12-6, playing efficiently and dominantly against formidable opponents. The victory against Athens also marked the program’s first ever win against the Red Hawks, and required a strong second half effort, as the game was tied 4-4 at the half.

The Lakers look forward to competing in the OAA and against cross-town rivals Lake Orion and Clarkston, as well as the perennial powerhouse of Salem High School. However, the team’s ultimate goal is to make a run for the state title, and that journey continues with the squad’s first home game of the year against Royal Oak High School on April 10, 2018 at 7 pm. Come out and support your Lakers!

The Boy’s Lacrosse team hoped to keep stride with their girl counterparts after a sluggish 4 win 2017 spring season. The Lakers seemed to do just that in their first game of the season.

The Lakers capitalized on an impressive 10-1 victory against Bay City Central High School on Friday, March 23. The Laker offense took command from the start, scoring 4 goals in the first quarter. This momentum persisted as the Lakers recorded 2 in the second, 3 in the third, and 2 to cap off the game in the fourth. Leading the team, Nick Long (11) and Jacob Cuda (11) dominated the offense with 3 goals each. Just behind them, Sverre Sears (10), Brandon Keil (12), Sam Hughes (10), and Ari Felhandler (12) each contributed one.

The team’s defense helped solidify the Laker’s successful offensive game by only allowing a single goal in the first quarter. Colton Smith’s (10) impeccable athletic display in front of the net further contributed to the Laker’s victory.

The Laker’s momentum followed them to Wednesday, March 28’s match against Warren Mott High School. The Lakers remained neck and neck through all four quarters, finishing in a 4-4 tie at the end of 4 quarters. As spectators gnawed on the tips of their nails the Lakers fought through 3 overtime quarters, as sudden death lurked upon each team. Unfortunately, with a minute remaining in the 3rd overtime period Mott was able to penetrate the Laker’s defense suffering from penalty trouble and score the winning goal. Laker’s scorers included Sverre Sears (10), Jacob Cuda (11), and Ari Felhandler for the low scoring 5-4 finish.