HOSA Students Compete in Online Donor Registration Drive

Gift of Life HOSA Challenge brings students together to register organ and tissue donors

Staff, Writer

West Bloomfield High School students are competing in a statewide virtual challenge with other Michigan HOSA chapters to register new organ and tissue donors and inspire support for donation. HOSA chapters are part of the former Health Occupation Students of America, the organization now known as HOSA-Future Health Professionals.  

The Gift of Life Michigan HOSA Challenge, an organ, and tissue donor drive competition, runs Nov.  2 through Nov. 20. Now in its second year, the challenge will take place virtually this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Students will dedicate three weeks to signing up people to the Michigan Organ Donor Registry online.  Each person who signs up on the Donor Registry for the first time using West Bloomfield High School HOSA’s custom link will score a point for the chapter 

In addition to registering new donors, students will complete virtual activities and events designed to raise awareness of the importance of organ and tissue donation. At the end of the competition, awards will be presented to the top four chapters with the highest number of new donor registrations and the most activities completed in support of donation. 

“We are excited to kick off another challenge with Michigan HOSA,” said Dorrie Dils, CEO of Gift of Life Michigan, the state’s organ and tissue recovery program. “These students demonstrate true professionalism and leadership through their participation in the HOSA Challenge. The work they are doing is changing lives and will have a lasting impact. There are about 2,600 Michigan residents in need of life-saving organ transplants and each name added to the Donor Registry offers new hope to them.”

West Bloomfield HOSA Secretary Navya Paingol says, “We are genuinely inspired by and proud of our members and will continue to strive towards our goal for The Gift of Life”

Samantha Pohl, assistant director of Michigan HOSA, added: “The HOSA Challenge fits perfectly with Michigan HOSA’s plan to provide professional development to our members virtually this year. It’s a great way for students to learn about the critical need for organ transplants and use that knowledge to make a difference in the community. We are grateful for our continued partnership with Gift of Life and appreciate them taking an interest in future health professionals.”

To sign up in honor of West Bloomfield High School HOSA, visit http://bit.ly/wbhshosa.

Michigan HOSA students have added 2,145 names to the Michigan Organ Donor Registry since the inception of the HOSA Challenge in early 2019.  A full list of participating HOSA chapters is available at www.golm.org/hosa.