Humans of Laker Nation: Alexis Goldapper

Alexis Goldapper sitting enjoying lunch with her friend Abby Vandercar.

Brooklynn Rosenberg

Q: What have you found the hardest in high school and why?

A: “I think the hardest thing about high school is the social aspect of our school. I think it’s really diverse, although it’s a good thing it can be really hard to make new friends and to want to branch out because our school is very cliquey, and a lot of people already have their friend groups established. I also think it’s harder to make friends too with covid, we haven’t really had anything like any bonding our rebuilding in our school to make us all social butterflies again, and that’s something that we need to work on.”

Q: What year of high school has been your favorite so far and why?

A: “Well the only year of high school that I somewhat had so far was freshman year, and that’s my favorite year. I was going into high school for the first time, everything was so new to me, homecoming, dances, pep assemblies, it was all so new. Getting to meet new people instead of being with the same two hundred kids for three years is so refreshing. My classes were also easy and overall it was just an easy, laid back new start.”

Alexis showing a picture from a student leadership event that she
participated in.

Q: What year of high school has been your least favorite so far and why?

A: “This year is my least favorite year. All my classes are so hard, no one knows how to communicate with anyone anymore, mental health is struggling for all students, teachers don’t know how to help their students anymore because a lot of them are so used to being virtual. Stress, college, SATs, ACTs, APs, it’s just not my year.”

Q: Do you think you will be happy or sad to graduate? Why?

A: “I think I’ll be sad to graduate. I will have to start life as an adult, on my own. I will be going to college and branching away from people I’ve known since kindergarten. I have to make adult decisions, I have to apply for college and I have to learn how to be independent on my own, which is really scary. I’m also just gonna miss the environment of being in school, I enjoyed being in high school.”

Q: What career path do you want to follow? What do you think influenced this and why?

A: “I want to go into political science and government or law. I’ve always wanted to go into something like this when I was younger, just the need of me wanting to be able to help others. I also think the government fascinates me, and to be a part of something like that one day would be inspirational and fulfilling.”

Alexis working during school to get homework done and finish assignments
on time.

Q: If you had a chance to move from West Bloomfield to a different school district would you? Why?

A: “No I wouldn’t, I like how this school is so diverse. I think this school does its best to implement helpful things involving mental health, fun activities for students to get engaged,¬† and the staff are usually really helpful and considerate. I think our school does a really good job at making it a safe environment for students to want to go to school.”

Q: What do you love most about West Bloomfield High School?

A: “How many options and opportunities that they give you in our school. There are so many different career path opportunities, there are so many ways to get involved, we have student leadership, student government, like a thousand clubs to join. There are so many connections that are made at our high school that you don’t get at other schools.”