Humans of Laker Nation: Elijah Bryant

Trevor Navarre

Q: What was your high school experience like?

A: “My high school experience the past four years. I had actually moved right before I started my freshman year. So just adjusting to that was a little bit of a challenge. I moved to Grand Rapids. I’m originally from Lansing, and then I moved here in January to West Bloomfield. So just entering the school here. And you know how last year we had COVID, so we weren’t in a real school. So not getting to meet anybody else, that was kind of tough, but it’s going well now.” 

Q: Do you like it here at West Bloomfield?

A: “I do like it here.” 

Q: What’s your favorite extracurricular activity?

A: “My favorite extracurricular activity would have to be probably just working out. I’ve been doing it for about five years now. It has become a passion I do it about every day. So that’s my favorite.”

Q: What are your short-term goals? 

A: “Short-term goals are to get into college and finish the year off strong, be able to get good grades, get involved in school, and more with clubs.”

Q: Who do you look up to for inspiration for your goals and in what you’re doing in life?

A: “Who I look up to for inspiration. I will say you will have to be my uncle. He’s someone that I would want to be like. He taught me a lot. A lot of life lessons and stuff. Stuff that you just need to know as a man.”

Q: Can you elaborate on that?

A: “Yeah, you know, like how to treat a woman, how to handle yourself when dealing with police, stuff like that, like life lessons in general.” 

Q: Where do you see yourself during college?

A: “In college I see myself being pretty active on campus. I’d like to get some internships. I want to make myself marketable before I leave college, so it’s not hard to find a job. I see myself building a lot of relationships with people. Hopefully meeting somebody in college. So that’s what I want to do in college.”

Q: Where do you want to go to college and why?

A: “Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia. And because of the Brotherhood, they have there, their location, and the legacy that they have there. Martin Luther King ended up going there, Spike Lee, a whole bunch of very successful black men. Just the culture that they have there. It feels like a very welcoming place. And that’s what I want to be part of.” 

Q: Where do you see yourself after college and in your career? 

A: “After college, I see myself working in a job for a little bit and then eventually opening up my own personal training gym. That’s been my goal for a while. That’s really what I want to do. Hopefully, I’ll just be working out helping other people in life.”