The Pledge: Yay or Nay?

The Pledge: Yay or Nay?american flag

What West Bloomfield High School has to say about the pledge

By: Deja Green

The Pledge of Allegiance is one way of expressing our loyalty to our country and federal flag. Many do not know the history of the Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge of Allegiance was first composed by Francis Bellamy in August 1892. It was published in The Youth’s Companion in September 1892. The pledge started off with a lot less words. Each word that was added gave the pledge a completely different meaning than it had started off with. The first version of the Pledge read:

“I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The second version:

“I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

The current version of the Pledge of Allegiance reads:

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

Recently, a law was passed stating that all schools had to recite the pledge. There were mixed views about reciting the pledge in school due to a list of things like the purpose and the fact that God is being mentioned. It is optional to say the pledge. The issue of saying “under God” is a fairly touchy subject.

Some students present the  idea of an entire school coming together reciting the pledge as showing that even though we are all different in many different ways, we can come together and unite. They believe saying The Pledge of Allegiance allows us to take time out of our day to pay our respects to our country and our federal flag. Other students believe it is inappropriate and potentially divisive rather than unifying.

Kaylyn Sanford, senior, says, “Saying the pledge doesn’t make my day any better and doesn’t make my day any worse.” She believes that the purpose of the pledge is to show  patriotism. Sanford has no problem saying “under God.” She is actually very proud to say it. “I love the fact that ‘under God’ is in the pledge because my god is truly an awesome god.”

Shania Patrick, freshman, thinks the pledge “is just a way for us to show honor to our country and it also shows unity.” When asked about the “under God” portion of the pledge, Patrick stated that it “is probably one of the most important phrases because God put us on this earth not to hate one another and to be united as one. Saying ‘under God’ shows that we are equal and we are united.”

Blake Bruselloff, senior, feels that the pledge is recited in order “to honor and show patriotism to our country.” Bruselloff “does not mind using the phrase ‘under God’ but, I can see how there could be a controversy over it because of the different religious views of the student.”

From another standpoint, Josiah Brownley, sophomore, says, “I am from South Africa. By making me recite the pledge, they are forcing me to accept their democracy. I am Christian but, I find it odd that America’s ideals tend to drift away from religion yet God is in the pledge.”

Jason Pauli, senior, does not like “feeling pressured to recite the pledge. We haven’t said the pledge since kindergarten. We shouldn’t have to say it if we don’t believe in the country we stand for. ‘Under God’ doesn’t make any sense if we don’t believe in God.”

Neil Haran, sophomore, feels that the pledge “should be allowed but, not forced on kids.”

What are your thoughts on this new law?  Leave a comment!