Hitting the Right Notes

WBHS Choir Program Sings Their Way to Success

Hitting the Right Notes

imageThe Choir department at West Bloomfield High School (WBHS) is filled with not only talented singers and performers, but also much activity around the community and people who enjoy it. Erica Jones, freshman and Chorale member said Choir has brought her to many people, and taught her to appreciate music. Jones also said that being in an all girls choir has given her the opportunity to find her voice. Austin Williams, sophomore and Laker Express member said, “I really enjoy choir, Mrs. Hauk is tough but it is because she truly cares and wants us to be the best we can be. Being in choir has really help me as a singer and performer I know that I have grown tremendously. Laker Express is really fun and I like all of the things we participate in and explore.” Headed by Mrs. Sheryl Hauk, WBHS teacher and choir program director, the choir program does more than just learn songs; made up of four choirs, they sight read, learn musical techniques, and travel the community performing in multiple areas for multiple causes. Laker Express, Chamber, Chorale, and Concert choir each are unique and specific for multiple reasons and focus on different things.

Laker express is known for being an acapella group, composed of twenty members, they perform unique ensembles while engaging in sight reading. Chamber choir is a choir of pride and commitment to excellence. This group of twenty works diligently in the growth of their music. The all women choir, Chorale, keys in on tri-part women’s literature and the growth of women in the vocal music program in a unique environment. This choir is a prime environment for new singers wanting to grow in the art of music. Joining this choir can be done by audition or by being a part of the choir program already. Concert choir is composed of students with a prior knowledge of both sight-reading and primary music understanding. This can be joined with choir director approval only. Along with singing each choir has unique outings, events and domains they participate in among the school and around the community. As a whole the choir program encompasses interactive learning and exposure to new experiences through music and singing