Laker Sports Line

Week of December 15-December 20

Back to Article
Back to Article

Laker Sports Line

WBHS' Girls Varsity Basketball team in a huddle

Twitter: @wbgirlsbball

Twitter: @wbgirlsbball

Twitter: @wbgirlsbball

Laker athletes had quite a busy week, as they looked to finish strong before a long holiday break. West Bloomfield High School’s (WBHS) Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys Wrestling, Boys Swim and Dive, and Boys Ice Hockey teams all competed to the best of their ability last week.
The WBHS Varsity Boys Basketball team dribbled their way to a 55-49 victory on Friday, December 19 at L’Anse Creuse North High School. Point guard, Trishton Jackson (junior) helped lead this talented team to victory, as he finished the game with 28 points. Center, Zach Allread (senior) finished with 13 points and point guard, Kevin Mcadoo (sophomore), concluded with 10 points. The Varsity team was back on the floor and in action the next day as well, as they battled Berkley High School in West Bloomfield. The Lakers breezed by their opponents with a lopsided final score of 67-44. Incredible performances by Trishton Jackson (junior) with 26 points, Zach Allread (senior) with 16 points, and Gervon Winn (junior) with 8 points. This extremely talented team is now 4-0 and hungry for more.
Varsity Hockey returned to take on the rivaled Bloomfield Hills Black Hawks in Black Hawk territory on Thursday, December 18. This game was well deserving to be classified as a nail biter. The match ended in a 1-1 draw with each team having scored their goals in the 3rd period. The only Laker to score was defenseman, Michael Kolodin (senior). The Lakers quickly transitioned to their next match on Saturday, December 20 at home against Mattawan High School. The Lakers obliterated their competition outscoring them 5-1. WBHS opened the game with a statement as they scored 3 in just the 1st period and finished the game strong with 2 in the 3rd. Solid performances from Sean Wigler (senior) and Braedon Somers (sophomore) as they each scored 2 goals and Michael Kolodin (senior) with 1 goal. The Laker’s goalie, Anthony Crews (sophomore), had a sensational night with 23 saves. WBHS improves to 4-4-1 on the season with many more games to come.
The WBHS Girls Varsity Basketball team faced a tiring week as they competed in 3 hard fought matches. First the Lakers matched up against Warren Michigan Collegiate High School on Tuesday, December 16. The Lakers blew out their competition 49-26. Guard, Rachael Harnish (senior) had 16 points and 2 steals and guard, Charlika Stubbs (junior) finished with 8 points and 3 steals. The Varsity team then went on to play Birmingham’s Seaholm High School on Thursday, December 18. After a well fought battle the Lakers fell to Seaholm with a slim margin of 38-33. Forwards, Camara Porter (senior) and Taylor Pierce (junior) dominated the boards as they combined for 30 rebounds. Charlika Stubbs (junior) was WB’s leading scorer with 14 points. WBHS then topped off their week with another victory against Warren Michigan Collegiate High School on Friday, December 19. The Lakers won by 10 with a final score of 47-37. Forward, Taylor Pierce (junior) led the team with a double double finishing with 18 points and 12 rebounds. The WBHS JV Girls team also hit the court on Thursday, December 18 against Seaholm High School. The Lakers blew past their competition and dominated in every aspect of the game to win with a final score of 42-25.

The WBHS Boys Swim and Dive team swam and dove their way to victory in an away meet against Royal Oak High School on Tuesday, December 16. The Lakers crushed their opponents with a final combined score of 121-61. WBHS swimmers topped the scoreboards and took first in almost every competition. Charlie Vincent (junior) and Tyler Edwards (senior) each finished the day finishing 1st in 2 individual events. Jacob Thoma (senior), Jordan Green (freshman), Nate Neely (freshman), and Chase Yarber (senior) all finished 1st in one event. WBHS came in 1st place in the Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay with a time of 1:55.60. The WBHS swimmers in this event included Edward Tyler (senior), Charlie Yarber (senior), Andrew Rockett (junior), and Nate Neely (freshman). The Lakers also took first in the Boys 200 Yard Freestyle Relay with a time of 1:41.86. This team consisted of Santonion Adams (sophomore), Matthew Lampear (sophomore), Jacob Thoma (senior), and Charlie Vincent (junior).

The mighty WBHS Wrestling team demolished Bloomfield Hills High School on Wednesday, December 17 with a score of 46 to 21. The team then competed in the Oakland County Championships on Friday, December 19 and Saturday, December 20. The Lakers took 8th place out of 40 teams. Matt Gudenau (senior) took first place going undefeated (13-0) at 140 lbs, Justin Hollins (senior) took third place (6-1) at 285 lbs, and Deshawn Cole (senior) placed fourth (12-4) at 160 lbs.

As the students of WBHS move onto a well deserved two week break, the Laker athletes participating in winter sports will continue to be hard at work as they continue to practice during the break. Happy Holidays! Come back next week for more Laker updates!