Laker Sports Line

Week of January 19-January 24

Twitter: @wbhsfreshbball

West Bloomfield High School athletes not only dominated their opponents in the arenas, but dominated their finals in the classrooms. This week’s sports consisted of hockey, cheer, boys and girls basketball, wrestling, and boys swim and dive.
On Monday, January 19, one very exciting to watch WBHS Varsity Cheer team took to the mats in an OAA White Division League Meet at Hazel Park High School (HPHS). The team out out cheered their competition placing in a phenomenal first place to finish off the day with a final score of 706.66, making it the highest score of the season for these Lakers. They received a score of 212.30 in round 1, 199.36 in round 2, and 295.00 in round 3.
On January 20th, the Boys Freshman, JV, and Varsity Basketball teams traveled to Harrison High School (HHS) for an OAA Crossover. All three WBHS teams concluded the day with a victory apiece. The Varsity team dominated in all aspects of the game to finish with solid 78-53 victory over the Hawks. Point guard, Trishton Jackson (junior) led the way with 28 points, Zach Allread (senior) had 14, and Aaron Bates (senior) finished with 10. Similarly, the JV team took a lopsided victory against HHS with a final of 78-55. The Freshman team, lead by Jack Budde (freshman) with 14 points pulled off a 58-42 victory.
On Wednesday, the 21st of January, the Varsity Wrestling team battled at Seaholm High School (SHS) in a dual meet against Southfield High School and Seaholm High School. The Lakers finished off Southfield beating them comfortably. The next match was much more intense as they battled the very talented Seaholm High. The meet remained neck and neck throughout and came down to the final match for the victory. Unfortunately, the Lakers’ 160 pounder was still shaking off an injury and lost the final match ending the meet with an incredibly close 38-33 final. The meet against Seaholm consisted of simple and easily fixable mistakes along with battles with injuries. WBHS looks to bounce back next week after a full weekend of rest and regrouping.
On Thursday, January 22 the Girls Varsity Basketball team faced off against the rivaled Bloomfield Hills High School Black Hawks in Bloomfield Hills. After an intense neck and neck battle the Lakers fell to BHHS with a final of 44-36. Despite the loss, Taylor Pierce (junior) and Rachael Harnish (senior) concluded with a solid 10 points apiece. Also on the 22nd, the Boys Varsity Swim and Dive team competed in an away meet against Rochester High School (RHS). The Lakers looked to continue their undefeated streak to 5-0 and did just that. The Lakers were led by Tyler Edwards (senior) as he concluded the day with a state qualifying time and win in the 200 Free and another win in the 500 Free. Other 1st place finishers consisted of Jacob Thoma (senior) winning the 100 Fly, Charlie Vincent (junior) winning the 100 Free, Nick Neeley (junior) winning the 100 Back, and Nathan Pasternak (junior) winning the 100 Breast.
Friday, January 23rd had more Boys Basketball in store. Just as on Tuesday, all three Boys teams played against Avondale High School (AHS) in Avondale and returned home with 3 well deserved victories. The Varsity team lead 43-39 with 5 minutes left in the game and managed to maintain their slim lead to finish off Avondale 56-48. Center, Zach Allread (senior) had 17 points, Trishton Jackson (junior) contributed 13, and Kevin Mcadoo (sophomore) finished with 11. The Lakers concluded the week with 2 wins improving their record to 9-1. The JV team smoked their opponents with a 30 point victory and a final score of 65-35. As Varsity and JV did, the Freshman team overshadowed their opponents to finished win a 49-28 victory. Niko Mosley (freshman) led the team with 12 points and right behind him Ethan Talampas (freshman) had 8. However, basketball was not the only event on Friday. The Boys Varsity Ice Hockey team skated past Bishop Foley High School (BFHS) at the Detroit Skate Club. The Lakers obliterated their competition with a 9-0 blowout victory. The Lakers scored an unheard of 7 goals in just the first period of play. Sean Wigler (senior) lead the team with a hat trick, as he finished with 3 goals and 2 assists. Goals were scored by almost every player in action.
On Saturday, January 24, hockey and cheer were the events in town. The WBHS Varsity Hockey team matched up against L’Anse Creuse High School (LCHS) coming off a blowout victory against Bishop Foley. The Lakers were down early as they trailed L’Anse Creuse 2-0 after the first period of play, but then came back in the third to score three in the second period following another L’Anse Creuse goal. After an intense third period the game went into overtime at 3 points apiece. Just minutes into overtime the Lakers found a late break and scored the winning goal putting them ahead 4-3. Sean Wigler (senior) had an outstanding performance scoring 3 goals along with Nick Martin’s (senior) goal. WBHS’ Hockey team looks to spark a run as they finished the week with two great victories.

As WBHS continues to compete at a high level yet again, as they have proved to be one a sports powerhouse in the metro Detroit area, Laker Sports Line will always get you the results! Come back each week for updates!