Jungle Fever

WBHS’s annual Homecoming Dance showcased the best of Laker Pride.

Jungle+Fever

On Saturday, October 10th at 7:00 pm, West Bloomfield High School (WBHS) hosted its annual Homecoming Dance. The theme of this year’s bash was a ‘Jungle Fever’ Survivor-like theme. This featured a DJ, photo booth, drinks, a large dancefloor, and elaborate jungle-themed decorations. According to Student Leadership, who hosted the dance, over 1,000 students attended making it one of the most successful dances in school history. The amount of Laker Pride was incredible. The dance floor was full of WBHS students, ready to dance the night away.

Homecoming would not have been what it was without the efforts of Student Leadership.  All weekend Student Leadership students worked tirelessly to make sure things went smoothly.  Which of course, everything did. Thanks to them, WBHS students were able to unite as one student body on the dance floor. Student Leadership teacher, Mrs. Larkin was the head of making sure everything was a success.

According to Mrs. Larkin, “The dance is really fun to put together!” But fun does not come without hard work. “If I had to pick the most stressful part, it would be decorations day. This is because there are 95 leadership students at the high school from 8:30 AM-2:00 PM and the goal of finishing decorating the atrium, hallway leading up to the cafeteria, cafeteria, and Laker Commons in 5 and 1/2 hours is very challenging!” Despite it all, it was all worth it in the end.

To come up with this year’s theme, the WBHS student body was able to vote on theme that Leadership students brainstormed last May. Mrs. Larkin said that, “We were able to execute the survive the swamp theme this year by dividing responsibilities up between different committees in student leadership”. Student Leadership member Erin Suchara, senior, added that, “The decorations were perfect for the theme and special 3-D elements such as the fire pit in both the atrium and cafeteria really stood out in making our school look like a real survivor territory”. Student Leadership’s hard work definitely paid off. Their efforts made the WBHS cafeteria and hallways look almost unrecognizable!

WBHS students used this dance as an opportunity to reunite and reconnect with each other. Many students, such as freshman Francis Brenner, were able to catch up with students in the West Bloomfield community who attend other schools such as International Academy (IA) or Oakland Early College. He said, “I got to hang out with a lot of my friends, I got to see one of my friends who goes to IA, I hadn’t seen them in a while, so that was cool”.  Homecoming  is important because it gives WBHS the chance to showcase the best it has to offer.  It was a wonderful dance for all attended, and will be something to look forward to in years to come.