Tattoos in WBHS

Inked up in the swamp

Tattoos in WBHS

Tattoos are a beautiful art form. Seeing as some seniors are 18 before the graduate and some underclassmen have obtained parent permission, there are students at West Bloomfield High School with tattoos. Spectrum wanted to sit down and talk about the tattoos of WBHS.

Reilly Card Senior 

I’ve wanted a tattoo for a while now. I see them as art. I turned 18 back in March and because my parents wouldn’t sign for one I had to wait. I thought so long about what I wanted and got what I did because of it’s meaning to me. I only have the one tattoo but I plan on getting more. I do not get annoying questions however people now feel they have the right to pull my shirt down so they can see the rest of the tattoo. Only part of it it viable above my shirt collar. I chose the location because of some symbolism. I have a quote from one of my personal poems, “We Are All Atlas” and the top of the spine is called the atlas bone. Some public opinion did go into the location. I had originally planned on it being on my forearm but I talked with my mom and she told me about the atlas bone.

Madde Husic Junior

I got a tattoo because I wanted to decorate my body and because the things I have tattoos for are important to me.

I currently have 5 tattoos.

Usually the most annoying question is what do they mean.

I am usually treated normally. A lot of people think that it makes me less professional but I don’t care.

I chose the location based off of how it looked and how much sense it made. The public did not influence where I placed the tattoos. I made most of them less visible just because I hadn’t planned out what I’m doing with my life yet post high school.

Brenna Birr Senior 

I’ve always thought tattoos were cool and meaningful and I wanted to do the same on my body. The reason why I have the one behind my ear (cat) because I’m allergic to a lot of things and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t allergic to the ink.

I have one right now, a cat behind my ear, but I do plan on getting more.

“How much did it hurt?” Or anything along the line of “I couldn’t get one because it would hurt too much,”

I don’t think I’ve noticed a difference towards me, especially in a negative way. Most people are shocked at first then they just forget about it because most of the time it isn’t visible.

I honestly don’t know. It was almost on my wrist or my hand but then I think five minutes before I walked into the appointment I decided I wanted it behind my ear.

I plan on getting more tattoos and I don’t plan on hiding them from everybody’s eyes. It’s my body and the tattoos that I put on it are for me, not for anybody else. If people can’t look past my physical appearance then I don’t want to know them, because it’s what’s on the inside that counts (is that too cheesy?).

Natile Junior 

I have 3 . I got my butterfly tattoo in honor of my great grandmother and as a part of the butterfly project. I would have gotten it on my wrist, but society would probably think I just want attention, so it is on my hip.

There are also some teachers at WB who have tattoos.

Jennifer Tobias, West Bloomfield High School English teacher

I had always wanted to get a tattoo and finally decided at age 30 to get my first one.  I actually went with my parents and my dad got one too.

I have 2 tattoos

I got them at age 30, 33

In my opinion, I don’t have any issue with students that have tattoos.  I only hope that students that have tattoos gave it careful consideration.  It’s such a permanent marking to get at a young age.

Having tattoos has not affected my career.  I have two fairly small tattoos on my ankle.  

Spectrum also wanted the opinion of those without tattoos.

Bridgid Orowe Senior is one planning to get tattoos when she turns 18. She stated that the reason she wants a tattoo as, “ “Because there are somethings I want on me permanently so I can look down and be reminded of how much they mean to me. Like a mark of passion.”

Tattooing and Body Piercing of a Minor. Prohibits anyone from either tattooing or performing a piercing on a minor without the prior written, informed consent of the minor’s parent or legal guardian. Requires the parent or legal guardian to execute the consent in the presence of either the person performing the body piercing or tattooing on the minor or in the presence of an employee or agent of the individual. Does not include emancipated minors.
About 1 in 10 people who get tattoos experiences problems with the tattoo, including infection, itching, swelling and redness, according to a small study in the June issue of the journal Contact Dermatitis. Tattoos are permanent and are something  to be done well. Tattoos can be expensive but art on body is not something to be cheap about. When finding an artist, make sure to look up reviews. Set up a meeting with the artist to figure out a design and price. Ensure the artist works with the art style the tattoo will be in. Make sure that the parlor is clean and that the artist uses new and sterile needles.