New Beginnings For NHS Members

Senior NHS members celebrat eembarking on the next chapter of their lives.

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Beginnings For NHS Members

Lauryn Azu

The National Honor Society (NHS)  is a nationwide organization for high schoolers focused on scholarship, leadership, service, and character. In order to be in the National Honor Society at WBHS, you have to maintain at least a cumulative 3.5 grade point average and also you have to fill out an application. Being in NHS is a great way to stand out to colleges and universities, so consider striving to become a member of this club. NHS students are known for their need for community service hours, as 20 hours are required for membership. Mrs. Noel McHardy, WBHS English, Journalism, Civics and Yearbook teacher advises this club and sends NHS members scholarship and community service opportunities. She says that, “mentoring and advising upperclassmen is a personal joy of mine because it is wonderful to help guide students to the next chapter of their lives.”

This year’s NHS Senior class president is  Erin Suchara, who leads along with seniors Kathy Wu, Amy Hu, Lily Barash, and Yashmeet Gambhir. NHS members are required to attend morning meetings before school once a month. The inducted juniors have 118 members, and as of now the senior class has 110 members. NHS’ main event each year is putting on Activist Week in mid-April. During Activist Week NHS was able to collect more than 200 cleaning supplie/canned foods to go to the Lighthouse of Oakland County on the first day alone! Overall, Activist Week was a major success.

Erin Suchara, the 2015-2016 President of the National Honor Society, plans to attend the University of Michigan next fall. She wants to graduate from U of M with a degree in chemical engineering, while also taking dance and theater classes in addition to academic classes. She has learned many things whilst president of this prestigious club, including how to communicate and also how to lead by example. Her advice to underclassmen is, “to take school as seriously as possible . . .  it is very important to make sure that you find the correct balance between school work and extracurricular activities so that you can keep your grades up and be proud of your work and contributions to the school. Have fun but work hard too!” To her graduating class she says to, “hold onto your dreams, and look hard for what you want.” She is confident that her and her graduating class will go on to great things in this world, and being a part of the National Honor Society gave her skills that will help her succeed.